The Federal Government has rejected the report of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution on Lekki Toll Gate Shooting which had indicted the Nigerian Police and the military.
DAILY POST recalls that the panel, which was inaugurated in October 2020, had last week, submitted its findings to the Lagos State Government, stating in the leaked report that at least nine persons were killed during the EndSARS protest at Lekki.
Despite the report, the Minister of Information and Culture, Mr Lai Mohammed on Tuesday, during a press conference, insisted that it was recycled fake news.
Lai Mohammed stated that for the Federal Government to change its stand on the report, there must be more investigations.
According to the Minister, the report which is currently in circulation was calculated to embarrass President Muhammadu Buhari’s government and its agencies “without foolproof evidence”.
He said, “there is absolutely nothing in the report that is circulating to make us change our stand that there was no massacre at Lekki on Oct. 20th, 2020. For us to change our stand, a well-investigated report of the incident that meets all required standards and will withstand every scrutiny must be produced and presented to the public.
“The report in circulation does not meet those requirements. We also appeal to the families of those allegedly killed in Lekki to speak out.
“It’s untenable to say that some families did not come out because they are afraid. Any parent who is afraid to testify about the death of his or her child is not worth being called a parent.
“We reject the notion that our soldiers and policemen massacred innocent Nigerians at Lekki on Oct. 20th, 2020. That conclusion is not supported by the weight of available evidence. Indictment for murder is a very serious issue that cannot be done on the basis of allegations and corroborations, as the panel did. Such allegations must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt”.
CAN reacts to attack on Jos custodial centre
The Plateau chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, has condemned the recent attack on Jos custodial centre by gunmen yet to be identified.
Chairman of the association in the state, Rev. Fr Polycarp Lubo, made the condemnation on Thursday in Jos in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
DAILY POST had reported that gunmen invaded the custodial centre on Sunday evening, killing a personnel of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) and nine inmates. They also set about 252 inmates free.
Deputy Controller General of NCoS, in charge of Operations, Mr Mohammed Tukur had blamed the incident on paucity of modern equipment and other gadgets.
The CAN Chairman described the attack as “sad, unfortunate and frightening”, adding that the attack was a bad omen for Nigerians.
According to him, with the huge number of inmates that have fled, the security situation of the country is under threat.
“The attack on the Jos custodial centre is a sad one; CAN on the Plateau condemns it in totality.
“With the huge number of inmates that have escaped, it is clear that our security situation is still under threat.
“This is because there are hardened criminals among inmates that fled; they will go back into the society and continue to unleash evil.
“So, I wish to strongly call on the government to provide modern and adequate equipment to the Service in order to avert a similar situation in the future,” he said.
Lubo called on residents of the state to be security conscious, particularly as yuletide approaches and report any suspicious activity within their vicinity to security agencies.
The Chairman appealed to residents of the community to eschew violence and embrace peace for the overall development of the state.
He also advised them against reprisals and urged them to live in peace at all times.
Alleged N4.5b loot: EFCC, others get 14-day ultimatum to prosecute Buhari’s Minister, Akume
Youths in Benue State, under the umbrella of Benue Youths Forum, BYF, have issued a 14-day ultimatum to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, and other anti graft agencies in the country to begin the prosecution of the Minister of Special Duties and Inter-governmental Affairs, Senator George Akume over alleged N4.5 billion loot.
DAILY POST recalls that the state government petitioned anti-graft agencies in the country to investigate the former lawmaker over alleged financial impropriety amounting to about N4,556,899,632.9 billion naira when he served as Governor of the state.
According to the petition, the alleged financial fraud which ranges from misappropriation of public funds, abuse of office, approvals above limit also include sale of 33,440,818 units of shares at the Benue Investment and Property Company, BIPC, also valued at billions of naira without recourse to due process.
The state government claimed that the alleged financial crime was generated from an audit report spanning 1999 – 2007 during the tenure of Akume as the state governor.
Following the allegation, Benue Youths, during a press conference on Wednesday, lauded Governor Samuel Ortom on his courageous move to unearth the alleged financial crime.
President of the group, Terrence Kuanum, who addressed the press, urged the state governor not to rely on anti graft agencies alone but involve legal actions by seeking redress in court.
He said, “We received with relief, the news that the Benue State Government, after a thorough audit, has taken steps to seek justice by inviting the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to investigate the looted funds of the State Government during Senator George Akume’a tenure as Governor.
“We salute the courage of Governor Samuel Ortom for standing with the people of Benue once again to recover what rightfully belongs to them, especially at this time of dwindling funds from the federation account.
“In 1999 when Akume became Governor, the Naira was exchanging with the Dollar at N21.89 only. Imagine the value of N4.5 billion at that time and what impact such a large amount of money would have had on the Benue economy now, if it had not been diverted by the Akume administration.
“State funds are public funds that belong to all of us and any one who presides over our public funds should be willing to be accountable for his actions.
“We are all aware of the damage corruption has done to the economy of Nigeria. When criminal acts such as the one the Akume administration is being accused of are allowed to go unpunished, the society suffers the dire consequences.
“When Akume was willfully accusing Governor Ortom the other day, he thought that we had forgotten all about the financial atrocities he committed during his time. Now is that time of reckoning we warned him about. He who comes to the table of equity must come with clean hands.
“We advise the Benue State Government to take the matter further to the courts and not limit it to EFCC investigation. This is a very serious corporate malfeasance against Benue State which must be redressed.
“We also want to warn that we not going to accept anything short of justice on this matter. We won’t also accept plea bargain or a political solution of any kind.
“Akume has insulted Benue people for too long. Let him have his day in court to prove his innocence.
“We urge the EFCC to immediately swing into action and get to the root of the matter so that justice will be done to the people of Benue State, bearing in mind that no one is above the law.
“Benue Youth Forum assures the people of the State that it will stop at nothing to ensure that we get justice in this case on behalf of our people so that the looted funds will be brought back into our treasury to enhance the development of the state.
“Consequently, we hereby give EFCC a 14-day ultimatum with effect from Tuesday November 30, 2021, to invite Senator George Akume for questioning and thereafter commence his prosecution;
otherwise, we youths of Benue State will occupy the Commission’s premises and demand for justice.
“We support Governor Samuel Ortom and his administration and will support any just cause his administration initiates to enhance the development of our state.
“Benue is the only state we have as our heritage. We will therefore not allow saboteurs to get away with their acts of treachery, corruption and impunity”.
Idoma billionaire businessman, Ochacho, Sen Abah Moro meet Ortom on Benue development
A billionaire businessman and philanthropist, Mohammed Adah, popularly known as Ochacho, on Wednesday, met with the Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom to discuss ways of developing the state.
Ochacho and his entourage were led to the Benue Peoples House in Makurdi, the state capital, by the Senator representing Benue South Senatorial District, Comrade Patrick Abba Moro.
Governor Ortom, while addressing the press after meeting with Ochacho, acknowledged the infrastructural developmental strides of the Ochacho Foundation particularly in the construction of roads in Benue South.
He said although Ochacho is not into politics, he is a Benue son who is adding value to the development of the state and needs collaboration.
Ochacho’s younger brother, Alex Enokela Ogbe, who is the CEO of the foundation, in a remark, expressed gratitude to God for making the Ochacho Foundation representative of good works.
He urged his supporters to remain calm as they will soon hear from him on the way forward.
Other members of the delegation included the State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Sir John Ngbede, members of the Benue State House of Assembly from Zone C, and Chairman of Ado local government council, Hon. James Oche.
Others are Prof. Agbo Madaki, Hon. Chris Aba, Hon Mrs. Abeje Egwa, PDP state Woman leader, Hon Egli Johnson Ahubi, former Deputy Speaker BNSHA, Hon Mike Audu, House of Assembly Member, Adoka/Ugboju among many others.
- CAN reacts to attack on Jos custodial centre
- EPL: Ronaldo would rather retire than be ‘benchwarmer’ under Rangnick – Agbonlahor
- Sanwo-Olu’s ‘Walk for Peace’ political move to secure second term – Seun Kuti
- Ghanaian actress in nude photo scandal, Akupem Poloo denied appeal, returns to prison
- Alleged N4.5b loot: EFCC, others get 14-day ultimatum to prosecute Buhari’s Minister, Akume
Alleged N4.5b loot: EFCC, others get 14-day ultimatum to prosecute Buhari’s Minister, Akume
Youths in Benue State, under the umbrella of Benue Youths Forum, BYF, have issued a 14-day ultimatum to the Economic...
Court shifts Nnamdi Kanu’s trial to Jan 18
Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday has shifted the trial of the detained leader...
Biafra: Ejiofor gives update on treasonable felony trial of Nnamdi Kanu as IPOB cancels ‘sit-at-home’
Ifeanyi Ejiofor, the lead counsel to the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has confirmed and given...
Biafra: Why Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer, Ejiofor is angry over my visit to IPOB leader – Orji Kalu
Senator Orji Uzor Kalu has responded to the claim by Barr. Ifeanyi Ejiofor, the lawyer to Nnamdi Kanu wherein the...
Suspected ritualists kill four in Ogun, sell body parts
The police in Ogun State have arrested no fewer than seven men said to be members of a serial ritual...
Metro1 week ago
Imo community pass night in bush as gunmen kill soldiers
Politics1 week ago
Thousands dump APC for PDP in Benue, apologize to Gov Ortom
Entertainment1 week ago
Buhari helped South East than PDP – Kenneth Okonkwo replies critics
Metro5 days ago
Bandits demand N99m ransom for 61 Emmanuel Baptist worshippers in Kaduna
News1 week ago
Controversial Buhari activist, Kenechukwu Okeke killed in Anambra
Metro5 days ago
Zamfara: Police arrest woman with 991 ammunition for bandits
News6 days ago
Many feared killed, houses burnt as Plateau boils again
Metro6 days ago
Community petitions Anambra Police over killing of 20-year old by security agents