Ikere Chiefs reject appointment of new Oba, say Fayemi breaches laws, disrespects judiciary - Breaking News Nigeria
Connect with us

Metro

Ikere Chiefs reject appointment of new Oba, say Fayemi breaches laws, disrespects judiciary

Published

on


The Ogoga-in-Council of Ikere Ekiti, has declared as null and void, the recognition granted by the Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi to Olukere of Ikere, Oba Ganiyu Obasoyin as a traditional ruler, describing the “Balkanisation” of the town as sacrilegious and wicked.

The Council chaired by Sapetu of Oke Ikere, Chief Olufemi Babatola, bluntly rejected the autonomy granted Odo-Oja, a section of Ikere Ekiti and delineated territory to be presided over by the new Oba.

Based on the outcome of the Justice Jide Aladejana-led Chieftaincy Review Commission, which found Olukere’s claim that he is an Oba plausible, Governor Fayemi had last week recognised him as a full-fledged Oba and he also designated Odo Oja axis of the town as his territory.

A statement signed by 16 members of the Council on Wednesday, said the governor’s action buttressed the fact that he was being allegedly vindictive for losing the 2018 governorship election in Ikere Council to an indigene of the town and the Peoples Democratic Party governorship candidate, Prof Kolapo Eleka.

Maintaining that Fayemi’s action was also allegedly contemptuous, the Chiefs said: “We have long instituted a case at the Ekiti State High Court to challenge the legitimacy of the claim of the Olukere of being made an Oba.

The Governor and the Attorney-General (AG) were made defendants in the suit for purposes of making them bound by the decision of the court on the subject matter.

“As a matter of respect to a court of law, once a subject matter is brought before the court, no party is expected to do anything that could have the effect of rendering the decision of the court on the subject matter nugatory.

“In a calculated attempt to deviate from this noble obligation, the Governor and the Attorney-General recently brought a motion before the court for their names to be struck out on the purported premise that they are not proper parties to a suit.

“That motion of the State Government was ruled upon in favour of the State on Friday, 8th October 2021 by the then Chief Judge designate, Justice Adeyeye.

Within a twinkle of an eye, a statement by the Secretary to the Bureau of Chieftaincy Affairs in Ekiti State surfaced and Ganiyu Obasoyin had been called to the Governor’s Office and by the time he came out from there, he was wielding his staff of office as an Oba.

“That the State Government would in such a situation pronounce Olukere as Oba and give him staff of office speaks volumes about the attitude of Governor Fayemi to the judicial system of our State and Country at large”, the Chiefs added.

They stated that the alleged evil machination by the Governor to ruin Ikere’s traditions, culture and customs as bequeathed to them by the founders of the land and our forefathers will not endure.

The Chiefs argued that the Odo Oja, where Fayemi awarded autonomy to be presided over by Olukere is being headed by Chief Ologotun for ages, saying it was sacrilege, aberration and absurdity for that axis to be constituted into a town.

“It was in 1987 before the Augustus Adebayo Chieftaincy Commission set up by the then Ondo State Government while Ekiti was still part of Ondo State, that the family of Olukere first made a case for Obaship recognition. The verdict of the Commission was that Olukere is just a priest of Olosunta and that he was not the founder of Ikere, the authentic founder and first settler at Odo Oja being Aladeselu,” they said.

Shedding more light on the lingering crisis, the Chiefs disclosed that the Ekiti State Traditional Rulers’ Council had allegedly rejected a similar request in 2014, saying Olukere’s position is that of a priest.

“We know that Governor Fayemi has been viciously vindictive against the unity of our kingdom as a reprisal for the defeat he suffered in Ikere to our son, Prof. Kolapo Olusola Eleka, the immediate past Deputy Governor, in the said 2018 governorship election.

“It has been an open secret that Governor Fayemi nurses the perception that the over 11,000 votes garnered by him from Ikere in that election were made possible by the Olukere, hence his sense of obligation to pay back his electoral benefactor”.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Three to die by hanging in Ekiti for murder, robbery

Published

on


Justice Abiodun Adesodun of Ekiti State High Court, sitting in Ado Ekiti has sentenced one Oluwole Edward, 49, Kolawole Ojo, 39 and Kolawole Tope, 20, to death by hanging.

In his judgment, Justice Adesodun said ‘’each of the defendants is found guilty and convicted as charged.’’
“In count 1, each of the defendants is sentenced to 5 years imprisonment without option of fine, while on count 2,4,5 and 6 each of them is sentenced to death by hanging, may God have mercy on their respective souls,’’ he said.

The defendants were charged for offences bodering on conspiracy, armed robbery and murder, according to the prosecutor, (Director of Public Prosecutions) Julius Ajibare, said the defendants committed these offences between 12/4/17 and 5/12/17 while armed with gun robbed the victims, Wasiu Ayinde of his money 1,850,000 along Erinmope/Ayedun Ekiti Road, Adamo Ayinde, 1,450,000 along Orin/ Ido Ekiti Road, Liadhi Mukadam 1,530,000 along Otun Ekiti/Ilofa road and Alhaji Fatai Arowolo 2,200,000 along Ayedun/Omuo Ekiti road respectively.

In his testimony before the count, one of the victims said his phone was collected during one of the operations, he reported it to the police and later tracked, leading to their arrest and prosecution.

To prove his case, the prosecution who informed the court that the offences run contrary to section 516, 402 (2) and 319(1) of the Criminal Code , CAP C16, Laws of Ekiti State of Nigeria, called 5 witnesses, exhibit tendered includes, statements of victims and defendants, petition written to the Commission of Police among others.

The defendants spoke through their counsel and called no witness.

Continue Reading

Metro

22-year-old man beaten to death for ‘stealing’ iPhone 6 in Ogun

Published

on


A 22-year-old man, Tunji George, has been beaten to death for allegedly stealing an iPhone 6 in Ogun State.

George was said to have been killed Wednesday by three men, who the police identified as Felix Sunday, Shomuye Musa and Oluwatobi Michael.

The suspects have been arrested after a sister of the victim, Bola George, reported at Onipanu divisional police headquarters that her brother was alleged to have stolen an iPhone 6 at Keke Hotel in Iyana Iyesi area of Ota, Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area of Ogun.

Bola alleged that the suspects, upon the allegation, “tied the deceased with a rope in the hotel and tortured him to death.”

“Having realized that the victim was about to give up the ghost, the suspects quickly rushed him to a hospital, but before they got to the hospital, the victim had died,” the State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, told newsmen on Thursday.

The DPO of Onipanu division, CSP Bamidele Job, was said to have mobilized his men to the scene, where two of the suspects were apprehended, while the remaining one was arrested in the hotel where the deed was done.

“On interrogation, the suspects informed the police that they strongly suspected the deceased as the person who stole the iPhone 6, and in order to recover the said phone from him, they decided to torture him not knowing that it would result to his death,” Oyeyemi stated.

While disclosing that the body of the victim had been deposited at the General Hospital’s mortuary, Ota, for autopsy, Oyeyemi added that the Commissioner of Police, Lanre Bankole had directed the transfer of the suspects to the homicide section of the state CIID for further investigation and prosecution.

Continue Reading

Metro

Gas explosion kills two in Akwa Ibom

Published

on


Gas explosion that occurred along Nwaniba road, in Uyo local government area of Akwa Ibom State has killed two persons, DAILY POST has learnt.

It was gathered that the tragic incident occurred two weeks ago in the morning hours when one of the deceased used his handset for illumination while striking the match to light his gas cylinder, which unknowingly to him had a leakage.

According to sources close to the compound of the victims, the cylinder immediately exploded, killing him and one other person.

The source said, ”The incident occurred on Wednesday, October 6 in the morning. Everywhere was still dark. One of the tenants, a 21-year-old stayed in a one-room apartment and wanted to cook in the early hours before going to work. He lit the gas cooker, not knowing that it was leaking.

”I was staying in my room. I heard a large explosion. By the time I rushed out to the room, there was a cloud of thick smoke all over the room. The fire was raging. No one could enter. We had to call the Fire Service and the staff rushed down and put off the inferno that could have razed the entire building.’’

Confirming the incident in an interview with our correspondent on Wednesday, the director of the Akwa Ibom State Fire Service, Ubong Umoh said the explosion was caused as a result of the phone light

Umoh lamented that his organisation had, on several occasions, sensitised users of gas cylinders against using mobile phones when cooking but to no avail.

He said, “Two persons were killed in the gas explosion and it happened because one of them was using phone light and this is what we in the fire department have been preaching against; that people should not use phone light near the gas cooker.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Recent Posts

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending News

Trending

Post Up To 500 Ads Per Day on 17 Different Sites On AutopilotLearn More
+ +